Dell Laptop - Inspiron i7559

My main PC currently is a Dell laptop:

Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK 15.6" Full-HD Gaming Laptop (Core i5, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX960M) with Windows 10

I added 8 GB RAM - so it features now 16 GB and added 500 GB SSD.

This laptop has no USB Type-C, only USB 3.0 and 2.0 are available.

So far I am very please with this laptop's performance.
I use it as a desktop computer but occasionally I take it with me if I travel for longer than one week. It is quite flat and light but I find it too big to use in the tight economy seats of contemporary airliners.

Here are some issues that I experienced while using this PC:

1) The screen would flicker and sometimes disappear.

I had to actually physicall press on the keyboard or shake the laptop to have the display return. I concluded it must be hardware issue. After opening the bottom cover I discovered that lcd screen connector was loose. I re-inserted it and the problem was solved.

2) Bluetooth issues.

After going off hibernation my once paired headset would not reconnect.
I also could not see the device on the list of BT Audio and would not be able to add it.
It turned out to be Microsoft Bluetooth LE Enumerator device issue.
Under Device Manager, Bluetooth, the aforementioned devide shown problem icon.
The problem description was that Windows could not load driver because previous instance was already loaded.
I Disabled and then Enabled the device again. This fixed the issue.
The headset / headphones connected instantly after that.

3) NVidia GPU problems.

This laptop is equipped with 2 graphics adapters. Intel HD and NVidia GPU for gaming.
Symptom:
Computer dies with blue screen of death caused by video card problem.
After restart NVidia GPU not visible.

Fix:
Shut down computer (power down).
Restart.

I noticed that recently this problem does not occur. I believe it may have been caused by the loose LCD connector issue that I fixed earlier.

4) Graphics settings reset after Windows 10 updates.

When update breaks your graphics settings, e.g: in my case the picture looks washed out, weak contrast.

Fix:
Fire up Intel HD Graphics Control Panel, load your profile and in Color Advanced Settings first disable and then enable YCbCr.

NOTE 1: New 2017 driver has the issue with YCbCr. On the external display, colors are broken and have pink hue. To fix disable YCbCr, then go to general settings and enable Full Range under  Quantization Range.

NOTE 2: After recent update I didn't experience the issues with YCbCr enabled under Color Settings. I guess Microsoft fixed that problem. The Quantization Range still gets reset to Default Range though.

5) Electrical issue with USB self powered hub?

One day I noticed that after short power interruption the laptop was shut down.
It is strange since the laptop has battery.
After some experimentation I discovered that the source of the problem is actually my self powered USB hub. Looks like re-connecting power to it totally turns off my laptop. I have to then disconnect everything from its ports and connectors, even power adapter to be able to start it again.

Fix - temporary:

I connected the power strip where my USB hub is powered from to the UPS battery backup. Later I disconnected the hub's PS completely (don't need it). It seems that the issue is related somewhat to my power sockets internal wiring, but how can this cause a short? After all the power supply for hub is independent from laptop's PS. Modern power supplies don't have transformers in them so there may be physical connection between the low voltage side of them when connected to the same socket in the wall.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I created this blog.

HP Scanjet 4370